Today's Flavor with Chef Nikki Shaw
It's National Ice Cream Month! Today's Flavor: Vanilla
With July being National Ice Cream Month, what better way is there to celebrate, (besides eating it, of course) than to share the flavor origins of the delicious, savory treat!
According to TheTopTens.com, number four on the list of favorite ice cream flavors, in the U.S., is vanilla.
Long before Vanilla was used to flavor ice cream, Mesoamerican people used it to flavor their drinks and food. However, the French were the first to use Vanilla to flavor Vanilla Ice Cream. It was first brought to the United States when Thomas Jefferson found out about the flavor in France and brought the recipe back to America. He also wrote his own flavor for vanilla ice cream. Vanilla Ice cream can be flavored artificially or with natural vanilla.
Though Chocolate Ice Cream has invented before vanilla ice cream, Vanilla has been the more popular one of the two over the last 200 years.
CHECK OUT THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE USING THIS COOL AND CREAMY TREAT!!
Vanilla: Banana Split Shooters
- 1 container (1.5 qt.) Breyers® Extra Creamy Vanilla*
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 pouch Breyers™ Caramel Flavored Ice Cream Sauce
- 1 cup PLUS 2 Tbsp. dairy whipped topping
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Evenly layer Creamy Vanilla and bananas in shot glasses.
- Evenly pour Breyers™ Caramel Flavored Ice Cream Sauce over top, then top with whipped topping and cherries. Serve immediately.
RECIPE SOURCE: Breyers.com